Saturday, January 12, 2008

First Post: Baseball Fever

Hello everyone,

This is my official first post! I started this blog up due to a combination of boredom, and love for the New York Yankees.

A bit about myself: I'm 19 years old, born and raised in New Jersey, and I'm a sophomore at the University of Vermont. I've been a die-hard Yankee fan since I was old enough to know what baseball was. The purpose of this blog will be to discuss what is currently going on with the Yanks, and the future of the club, as well as discussion on minor league developments.

Keep it friendly!

So to kick things off, here's what has been going on recently with the Bombers...

Santana trade talks are slowing to a halt, much to my happiness. I'm a huge fan of the youth movement, and I would like to keep both Hughes and Melky in pinstripes.

There was a brief spike of speculation of a trade with the Pirates; Melky for Marte. Again, I would like to keep Melky, but at least this rumor is a step in the right direction - focusing on a legitimate weakness of this club, the bullpen.

The plan was if we lose Melky, to possibly replace him with Mike Cameron - someone I view as an old washed up roid-head who strikes out too much. The Cameron/Marte/Melky rumors disappeared yesterday with the reported signing of Cameron to the Brewers for a 1 year deal and a club option for 2009. Good news for me. I think we have enough aging outfielders.

Going forward, there doesn't appear to be much on the Yanks radar, and we are looking to open up the season with what we've got. There are a lot of question marks, but I'm hoping for the best.

I'll keep updating with new posts as stuff happens, so stay tuned!

-Justin

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am also glad about the Santana rumors dying down. I like the ideas of keeping our pitching prospects, and it looks as though the Mets may be the only team in the race, making me think that he might stay until the deadline/free agency. The more I think about first base, the more I wish we kept Phillips. I wanted Minkeyvich (spelling) back but we still have to pay Giambi a ton of money, so it wouldnt make sence financially. Should be a good year.

Anonymous said...

MEINTKIEWICZ DOUG

Why Clark Kent?

Justin said...

I'm gonna go ahead and call "Clark" "Steve", since thats his real name haha.

And Stevem you get the award for the worst attempt at spelling Dougie's name. And I think it makes more sense to play Giambi at first, until he starts to break down.

I value the ability to DH Matsui or Damon occasionally too much to let Giambi DH full time. I think the offensive production we can gain in that situation outweighs defensive losses. But thats just me, I could be proved wrong during the course of the 08 season.

Anonymous said...

Justin,

Excellent First Post On Your New Baseball Blog!...

You asked for some advice [in your comments on Bombers Beat, MLBlog.] regarding start-up of your new Blog...So, here are some of my thoughts...

I would say, as you continue with future Posts - just write about what your opinions are [like your comments on "Bombers Beat"]. Think of your Blog like it is a Baseball Column; and, you are writing article's for some Newspaper everyday!...And, also, think of it as, the Sports Pages of that Newspaper would not be complete without your article!...

Plan what you want to say; make sure all the facts and stats are correct; and, give and list proper credit [of the original author] on any quotes you may use in your posts...

Stay positive, but if you have strong views and opinions [on any topic], state them in a firm way - to get your points across!

I think the most important thing is to just write what you think [as you would say it]; Have fun; and, always be friendly and nice to your readers!...Justin, these are things you already do in your comments on "Bombers Beat" - So, I think your Posts on your new Blog will have great observations and commentary, and will be a must read for all serious Yankee fans; and, also, Baseball and Bloggers looking to stay informed on matters concerning Baseball news, and the Yankees!...

Good Luck! I look forward to your future Posts, and any other thoughts and comments you may have!...

Also, I don't know if you checked out my MLBlog. yet...As I am sure you have seen the listing at the bottom of my comments, my Blog is "Baseball, The Yankees, and Life"...

http://baseballtheyankeesandlife.mlblogs.com/

...so, I would be interested in your opinion of the Posts I already listed on my Blog...I plan on listing some new posts - soon! And, will be Posting on a regular basis at the start [or sooner] of Spring Training, and throughout the upcoming 2008 Baseball Season, as the Yankees go onto winning their 27th World Championship!

So, Justin, take care for now! I look forward to your thoughts and comments; and, future posts on your new Blog!

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Justin..
Good first shot. I hope you get some old timers posting...they have some great stories for some of your other posters to read. Remember, history dose repeat it self...somewhat. Good luck with your endeavor. 27/08

Yankfan75 said...

Go Yanks. I too am a die hard Yankee fan(born and raised in the Bronx). I look forward to seeing more on this blog as the Yanks start their season. Can't wait for the season to start. Good luck and go GIANTS!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

BobK (RGK) RobertGKramer,

My reasoning for the Dougie is that I love his defense at first. I wish we kept Andy Phillips because of his bat AND glove. We'll probably be okay this year with Giambi, Bettamit, and whoever else at first. Considering Texiera is up for free agency after this year, I don't mind our first base options this year. Hopefully Giambi will hit well this year.