Thursday, March 27, 2008

A New Member, Spring Training Winding Up

Good Evening Yankee fans,

My apologies for infrequent updating...college has been keeping me rather busy. First things first: We (and be "we", I mean "I") here at Pinstripe Perspectives are adding a new blogger! I decided to offer my friend Steve to join me in blogging about the Yankees. Steve, like me, is a Yankee fan here at UVM. Look for his first post to come soon, something about the new Yankee Stadium I believe.

Anyway, Spring Training is winding up, and the season is right around the corner. From the looks of things, the Yankee brass has not exactly followed my wishes for the 25-man roster, but it is pretty similar. Patterson is still in camp, and I still believe he should make the team. Yes, I know he hasn't played above AA yet, but he pitched ANOTHER scoreless inning and a third this afternoon, maintaining his 0.00 spring ERA. I also don't think Karstens, Rasner, or Igawa should make the squad. Why does one of them need to be a "long man"? Ohlendorf used to be a starter, let him pitch 2-3 innings at a time. We don't need him in the back end of the bullpen anyway with Chamberlain now officially starting in the bullpen.

The Yanks have dropped the last couple of spring games, but I'm not worried. Robbie Cano (who is one of my favorite players by the way) is really in a groove right now, and I hope he can carry that into the season. Giambi has also continued to help well. If he can stay healthy, we are in for a good run this season, at least offensively. I believe that Giambi's health is a key component to our offense. If he's healthy, he can play the field and allow us to have Giambi, Damon, and Matsui in the lineup at the same time. Don't get me wrong, I like Duncan, but the former group is far more deadly.

Although the Yanks have yet to start, Boston has gotten their season under way, squaring off against the A's over in Japan. They split the 2-game series, one game apiece.

That's about it for me...expect my posts to get a bit more frequent when the season gets rolling, as I'll have more to write about. Here's to hoping for Becket's injury to be worthy of the DL and a speedy recovery for Pettite!

No comments: